Sunday, November 18, 2012

Vintage Rag Scrap Quilt

Since I'm on a quilt theme, here's another vintage quilt that's a real sweetie.  This one came into my collection through an online auction.  Although I'm not certain of it's age, it's definitely vintage and well loved.


The colors are a bit faded, especially the pink which I suspect was once actually red.


The elements that I find so attractive about this vintage rag quilt are it's scrappiness and randomness.  It reminds me of a crazy quilt but without the embroidery.  Yet it's still orderly with it's predictable pink diamonds.


Here's a good shot of the hand quilting.  Not tiny, perfect stitches but the whole quilt is lovingly covered in hand stitches.


The fabrics include a lot of plaids but also sweet prints like these.  Makes me think that maybe this was made in the 1930s or 1940s.


Considering it's size, which is twin, the use of plaids and that the pink looks like a faded red, I wonder if this sweet quilt was made by a loving mother for her son.

I just adore vintage quilts and truly admire the amount of time and effort that was put into these handmade treasures.  This vintage rag quilt is a perfect example of that.



1 comment:

  1. There is something particularly charming about this type of quilt!

    ReplyDelete